Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Writing on Stone and Sand

Sometimes I do a different kind of writing
But not the kind using ink and paper
I find myself busy etching and scribbling
On stone and sand—two different matters

I stop my hand from mixing them up
Not scribble on stone, not etch on sand
You should know what it is I’m writing
So my cautiousness you'll understand

I should be etching on stone
Kindnesses people show to me
I should be scribbling on sand
Offenses that cut deeply

The etched words on stone will last
Even after many decades have passed
And tomorrow, the tide can quickly wash away
On sand the scribbled hurts and tears of today

“Dear God, guide my hand where I should write
As I choose which memories I'll forever set

Give me the stone, show me the sand
Help me to remember, help me to forget”

6 comments:

sillyserious said...

thank you for writing on sand, beng.

Beng said...

:-) Thank God for creating sand--more grains than you and I will ever need.

Anonymous said...

... my mind is like the sand... it forgets... the good and the bad... i wish that for all the pain, your mind will be like that ... the sand... and for joys.. the stone...

God is gracious... He will make you forget...

jen

Anonymous said...

i pray the same things...

Beng said...

Thanks, Jen. Yes, sometimes having a weak memory is a blessing. During times when we are hurt, it is. :-)

And for you, Karina, may the God of grace teach you--and me--until we both learn how to really write on stone and sand. :-)

Beng said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.